So, "H is for Hawk" was a book I did not love, but was glad I read . Well written, even poetic. The author has a deep love of nature, and I enjoyed her vivid descriptions of the country she explored with her hawk, Mabel. Her 'relationship' with Mabel was fascinating, and she trained her well and humanely. I do have some difficulty with the 'humaneness' of holding such a wild thing captive. I think the author would have been a real candidate for suicide had she not embarked on this challenging journey of training a goshawk, one of the most difficult raptors to train. I did get a little weary of her endless angst, as well as her frequent departures to talk about the life of TH White, who she revered as a child. He wrote, The Man Who Would Be King, and raised a goshawk as well.
The book stimulated a great discussion at book group. It was just different enough.
Annie
No comments:
Post a Comment